The youth wing of opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has served notice to instigate young people at government officials and picket at the Ministry of Finance to withdraw 10 percent betting charges.
The government has commenced charging 10% withholding tax on gross wins from patrons of Sports betting and other lotteries effective 15th August 2023.
The Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) says it has instituted necessary measures to ensure full compliance to the new amended Tax Act.
The GRA seeks to rake in GHC1.2million from lotteries.
In a press release the NDC National Youth Organizer, George Opare Addo stated that the move is to “protect the funds Young People secure through betting is unyielding.”
According to him, through agitations, protests, advocacy, and civic engagements, they will ensure their voices are heard and “demand that this CORRUPT Akufo-Addo/Bawumia Government rescind its decision.”
“Picket at the Ministry of Finance and occupy government offices across the country. Start and scale up nationwide conventional and unconventional lawful agitations as a measure of the resistance. Instigate young people to confront officials of this government and demand AN END to the CORRUPTION and Insensitivity of the Akufo-Addo-Bawumia-failed brigade, and Occupy Parliament and other government agencies,” Mr. Opare Addo stated.
Below is the full statement from the NDC Youth Wing
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ABOLISH THE TEN (10%) BET TAX NOW!
Accra, 16th August 2023- In the face of the unjust TEN (10%) taxation ON bet Wins, we, the young people of Ghana and the NDC Youth, declare a resolute series of actions to resist this burdensome and insensitive policy.
Our unity is unwavering, and our determination to protect the funds young people secure through betting is unyielding.
Through agitations, protests, advocacy, and civic engagements, we will ensure our voices are heard and demand that this CORRUPT Akufo-Addo/Bawumia Government rescind its decision.
Young people shall not be burdened to compensate for the following;
1. The monies stolen and stashed by appointees of this NPP government and saved in their homes and bank accounts.
2. The massive corruption happening at the bank of Ghana under the watch of Dr. Ernest Addison.
3. The failed vision of President Akufo-Addo’s government.
4. The Lies of Vice-President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, seen now to be a public ridicule amongst young people.
5. The arrogance of appointees of the government who have taken the pleasure of stealing public funds, talking down on citizens, and robbing young people of the meager sums they secure through betting in an economy that has impoverished them.
We INTEND to do the following;
1. Picket at the Ministry of Finance and occupy government offices across the country.
2. Start and scale up a nationwide conventional and unconventional lawful agitations as a measure of the resistance.
3. Instigate young people to confront officials of this government and demand “AN END to the CORRUPTION and Insensitivity of the Akufo-Addo-Bawumia-failed brigade.”
4. Occupy Parliament and other government agencies.
We are asking you as young people to mobilize and join in this struggle.
Further Instructions shall be communicated to all our NDC constituency youth wing departments across the country, and the public is encouraged to contact our officers across the country to synergize the delivery of our executed resistance and protest against this failed Government!
George Opare Addo,
National Youth Organizer, National Democratic Congress.